In the autumn of 2018, on a business trip to Tuscany, I visited our friends-the famous organisation CONSORZIO VERA PELLE ITALIANA CONCIATA AL VEGETALE (Consortium real Tuscan vegetable tanned leather). Let me just remind you that this non-profit organisation with a long name is engaged in preserving the traditions of Tuscan leather production.
The office of the Consortium is located, like all tanneries in Tuscany, in the town of Ponte a Egola, and this is a view from a hill located nearby (in General, there are many hills in Tuscany, and they are all dotted with towns).
The consortium was founded in 1994 by Mr. Tempesti (who became its first President) and today includes 22 factories.
In addition to issuing certificates, which I will discuss below, the Consortium is engaged in educational activities, conducts production tours for students of Tuscan fashion schools, conducts master classes for designers and publishes a magazine.
THE GUARANTEE LABEL
Guarantee labels certify the product’s origin as well as a proper handling of the tanning process and the natural characteristics of the vegetable-tanned leather supplied by the consortium’s tanneries. Labels are printed with anti-counterfeiting techniques. They are also progressively numbered and recorded so that the Consortium can identify both the supplying tannery and the product manufacturer at any time and all over the world.
- No animal is killed for its skin. On the contrary, the raw hides used by our tanneries are the discarded by-products of the food industry producing meat for human consumption.
- Being tanned with natural tannins, a vegetable-tanned leather object can be easily disposed of at the end of its life, thanks to its chemical-biological characteristics.
- Our tanneries have made huge investments in depuration systems and waste recycling that make them work in full respect of man and the environment.
- Many of the substances used during the tanning process are recovered, recycled and reused in different fields. Hair removed from raw hides is transformed into agricultural fertilizer; sludge produced by the depuration plants is reused in the construction field to make bricks.
- Vegetable-tanned leather, recognizable from its trademark, does not contain any toxic substance such as azo-dyes, nickel, PCP or chrome.